11 May 2007

Thomas Rotherham College Students Head for Prestigious Science School in Sydney

Thomas Rotherham College student, Keir Bailey, has won one of only five places open to British students to attend the Professor Harry Messel Science School in Sydney, Australia this July.

The Professor Harry Messel International Science School, organised by the Association for Science Education, is a two-week residential program for talented high-school science students – a unique opportunity to learn from leading research scientists, expand their academic and social horizons and meet other students from across Australia and around the world.

The event runs from 1st-14th July 2007 and is the 34th International Science School, EcoScience, at The University of Sydney. Students will look forward to two weeks of scientific lectures, activities and social events, with a focus on the environment and ecological science. Keir's Biology teacher at TRC, Gill Handyside, said:

"We nominated Keir, not just because she is an outstanding student but because she is so good humoured, mature and friendly. There will be 160 Science students at the two-week event, but only five from the UK, so Keir has done incredibly well to be chosen. She is a lovely girl, a model student and will be a fabulous ambassador for her College and her country."

An excited Keir said:

"I cannot believe I have been given the chance to do something this amazing! I know it's a once in a lifetime experience and I'm going to love every minute of it. Not only will I be learning something I enjoy in a totally mind-blowing and unique way, but I will be able to make friends with like minded people from all over the world. When they phoned me and told me I had been given a place I was speechless, especially due to the interview being extremely hard as they asked me all sorts of absurd and thought-provoking science-based questions."

Keir, aged 17 from Rawmarsh, is an AS Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths student at TRC.


Related Links
Thomas Rotheram College News
Student News
College News


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: